Top 10 Reasons to Get Your Child Immunized
There are reasons why vaccines are created, developed, and introduced to society. Medicine has improved a hundred-fold, being able to cure certain diseases that have taken lives in the past. With the introduction of vaccines decades ago, modern medicine has helped lower mortality rate around the world.
LH Prime Cebu helps celebrate World Immunization Week this last week of April and hopes to share as much information about it through the various articles it will be posting.
Here are the top 10 reasons why you should get your child immunized, as shared by the National Foundation of Infectious Diseases:
1. Vaccine-preventable diseases still exist – The viruses and bacteria that cause illness and death still exist. Ensuring that you keep your baby healthy and free of the risk of contamination, get your baby vaccinated.
2. Vaccines will help keep you healthy — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends vaccinations from birth through adulthood to provide a lifetime of protection. Many diseases like influenza, pneumococcal disease, human papillomavirus, and hepatitis A and B can be prevented. Without being vaccinated, as recommended, you are vulnerable to the illness and long-term suffering.
3. Vaccines are as important to your overall health as diet and exercise – If you eat right, exercise, and getting regular screenings for like colon and breast cancer, vaccines do the same thing. It keeps you healthy. They are one of the most convenient and safest preventive care measures available.
4. Vaccination can mean the difference between life and death — Approximately 50,000 adults die each year from vaccine-preventable diseases.
5. Vaccines are safe and effective — Vaccines are among the safest medical products available. They can prevent infectious diseases, not to mention the financial cost if you become sick.
6. Vaccines won’t give you the disease they are designed to prevent — Some vaccines contain the “killed” virus and it is impossible to get the disease from them. Other vaccines by injecting you with the live virus, but weakened, as these are designed to ensure that you cannot catch the disease.
7. Young and healthy people can get very sick, too — Infants and the elderly are at greater risk for serious infections and complications. If you’re young and healthy, getting vaccinated can help you stay that way.
8. Vaccine-preventable diseases are expensive — Diseases impact the individual, their families, and most especially are very costly.
9. When you get sick, your children, grandchildren, and parents are at risk, too — A vaccine-preventable disease might make you sick for a week or two. Did you know that you can actually be a carrier who can contaminate the rest of your family? In general, vaccine-preventable diseases are more serious for the very young and the very old. Get vaccinated to protect yourself, but know that you’re protecting your family as well.
10. Your family and coworkers need you — Each year, millions of adults get sick. This causes absence from work, lost money, and in the long run, if you slowly lose your health, you put your family at risk…those who depend on you become vulnerable.
Visit a diagnostic clinic in Cebu, like LH Prime Cebu, to know more information about these vaccine preventable diseases and what are available in your area. A medical exam in Cebu can help you and doctor determine how healthy you are or what medication you may need to take to help care for your health and body.