The Disadvantages Of Self Medication
In our country, are you aware of how extensive self-medication is being done? To this day, it is even considered the norm which is why the Phil. Center for Investigative Journalism, PCIJ, has come out with a study, quoting, ‘Do-it-yourself Healthcare, “The government’s meager resources for health mean that more and more Filipinos will resort to self-diagnosis and medication. The poor will be at a disadvantage as they do not have access to health information and services. The wealthy, however, will be healthier.”’
Do you agree?
This article aims to point out the disadvantages of self-medication to help enlighten people in choosing the right kind of medication, which fortunately, has become more affordable.
Did you know that the government healthy indices suggest that in the last 15 years, overall health status has improved? According to PCIJ, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases are no longer the top causes of death and illness in our country. Diarrhea and other problems associated with environmental sanitation have decreased with improved water distribution and supply. The family planning program has provided a wide range of family planning services to many women of reproductive age, around 47% of whom were reported to be using contraceptives in 2000.
Healthcare does not have a lot of clout in the government’s budget, which is why those who are not financially capable of visiting the doctor, visiting a diagnostic clinic, and having a medical exam in Cebu or having lab tests done for proper diagnosis, do self-medication.
Most Inside shares this list of disadvantages of self-medication:
- Self-medication is associated with risks such as misdiagnosis, use of excessive drug dosage, prolonged duration of use, drug interactions and poly pharmacy.
- Paracetamol, an antipyretic and analgesic in large doses can cause liver failure. Paracetamol toxicity is the most common cause of acute liver failure.
- Valsartan is an anti-hypertensive drug. It is highly effective when used in recommended quantities. The main consideration is the over usage of the drug may cause hypo tension, which may eventually lead to heart failure and also hepatic and renal failure.
- Your own diagnosis may be wrong.
- Your chosen drugs may cause side effects.
- Because of your incorrect diagnosis and incorrect medication purchased, there would be financial losses and delayed recovery, which is going to be more costly.