The Big C – Fast Facts About Cancer?
One of the biggest questions about cancer is how does it start. LH Prime Cebu hopes to be able to shed light on one of the biggest problems and causes of deaths this past months…the big C.
The DOH has a cancer control program and it states that cancer is considered a ‘silent disaster’ for the Filipino population killing 300k a year, 800 daily and 33 every hour. As the big C is the 3rd leading cause of mortality in the country, sharing as much information about it should be done now.
Here are some basics from PhilCancer:
- Cells in our body reproduce themselves in an orderly manner. They have specific life spans. Dead and worn-out tissues are replaced, injuries are repaired and the body stays healthy. When exposed to some substances, like chemicals and viruses, some cells undergo changes called mutations. These mutate and are called carcinogens, also called cancer initiating or promoting substances.
- These substances are found in:
(1) cigarette smoke
(2) viruses that cause chronic infection of the liver and the uterine cervix
(3) hormones such as estrogen, and
(4) ultraviolet rays from the sun
– These cellular genetic mutations if left unchecked will enable the cells to behave in a manner totally different from normal cells, keep reproducing, live much longer, and can spread and reproduce in other parts of the body.
– Cancer cells serve no useful purpose and when too numerous and widespread, they cause serious damage and death.
While all these data is quite alarming, you should also know that many cancers of the LUNG, LIVER, CERVIX, ORAL CAVITY, STOMACH, COLON/RECTUM, LARYNX and SKIN MELANOMA, which comprise 42% of all cancers in both sexes, can be prevented. Most importantly, ‘…at least 1/3 of all cancers can be cured. Majority of cancers can be cured if they are detected early…’
Our body is quite unique and exceptional. It knows how to let us know if there is something wrong on the inside and it would try to take care of any illness, as much as it can. Take the time to care for your body and know how it is doing by visiting a diagnostic clinic in Cebu and going through medical exams in Cebu as well. Visit a doctor and have your medical check-up.