9 Signs of Hemophilia You Shouldn’t Ignore
Many of us may know what hemophilia is, but chances are, if you are already experiencing some of the symptoms, you may not know that it is high time to visit a diagnostic clinic in Cebu and have yourself thoroughly checked. Active Beat shares these:
- Loss of Coordination – Includes dizziness, loss of balance, slurred speech, impaired vision, and facial muscle abnormalities akin to a stroke. Loss of co-ordination and associated symptoms are often the result of a brain bleed from a head injury or a small bump on the head. Bleeding in the brain will cause a persistent and gradually worsening headache in hemophiliacs. Clumsiness, weakness of muscles, stiff necks, double vision, nausea and vomiting, poor balance or loss of balance and total lack of coordination, spasms, crossed eyes, and even seizures should be carefully observed.
- Headache – Be wary of headaches, which could indicate internal bleeding in the skull. A continual headache should be considered a medical emergency following any trauma to the head.
- Unexplained Bleeding – Other forms of unexplained bleeding can be dangerous to hemophiliacs, especially if the bleeding is unseen. Notice bleeding gums that continue for days without treatment. Take note of bleeding from the gums, nose, teeth or mouth, due to dental work, an innocent bruise sore or stiff muscles.
- Bloody Urine and Stools – Uncontrollable bleeding longer than what is normal. Notice traces of blood in your urine or stools, too.
- Spontaneous Bleeding – Spontaneous bleeding can occur in patients that spring up for no reason, typically as a bloody nose.
- Chronic Joint Stiffness – Chronic joint pain and stiffness caused by repeated bleeds into the same joints and connective tissues causing long-term pain lasting for months on end, that greatly impacts the ability to work, is another symptom that you shouldn’t ignore.
- Tingling, Painful Joints – Tingling and joint pain may become a chronic issue if internal bleeding has occurred. Observe untreated joint bleeding manifested through joint irritation and dull pain. Swelling will occur as internal bleeding continues and the joint can become hot to the touch as well as so painful that range of movement is completely lost.
- Internal Bleeding – Internal bleeding from minor blows, impacts or falls inside joints is another symptom. Bleeding of the brain can also occur with a mild impact, but more commonly from a serious head injury. A medical exam in Cebu will help get a more detailed result to help your doctor. Signs of internal bleeding can include discomfort, pain, or tightness in the joint affected. The joint may also appear swollen, be painful when bent, and feel hot to the touch. With internal brain bleeding, dizziness, weakness, headache, double vision, and neck pain may occur.
- Tendency to Bruising – If you are prone to bruising that is noticeable since infancy, then this is another symptom you shouldn’t ignore. Cases of hemophilia are typically diagnosed fairly early with the first case of bleeding or bruising. A pre-existing family history of hemophilia will also help. LH Prime Cebu and any other medical clinic would always have this question to ask upon check up.