10 Classic Signs A Woman You Know is Being Abused
Abused is such a strong word. According to Wikipedia, it is defined as, ‘Abuse is the improper usage or treatment of an entity, often to unfairly or improperly gain benefit. Abuse can come in many forms, such as: physical or verbal maltreatment, injury, assault, violation, rape, unjust practices, crimes, or other types of aggression.’
While many believe that abuse is more physical-related, think of this, ‘…don’t believe that you are not being abused just because your abuser has never hit you. Insulting you, constantly finding fault with you, and correcting you in public or private are all abusive behaviors designed to destroy your self-confidence and maintain control over you. You don’t know that it won’t escalate into physical violence.’ That’s why Your Tango and LH Prime Cebu hope to open more eyes and awareness regarding abuse in this article.
Help Guide shares these signs that help tell if you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship:
- Seem afraid or anxious to please their partner
- Go along with everything their partner says and does
- Check in often with their partner to report where they are and what they’re doing
- Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from their partner
- Talk about their partner’s temper, jealousy, or possessiveness
- They have frequent injuries and always would have an excuse for these “accidents”
- Frequently miss work, school, or social occasions, without explanation
- Dress in clothing designed to hide bruises or scars (e.g. wearing long sleeves in the summer or sunglasses indoors)
- Be restricted from seeing family and friends
- Rarely go out in public without their partner
These are just a few of the classic signs. These do not limit the indications, nor should you question how you feel and think if you are having doubts about the relationship you are in. Talk to someone. Visit a diagnostic clinic in Cebu to know more about abuse. You can search online if you wish anonymity. Oftentimes, when a police would need to get involved, getting a medical exam in Cebu would help a lot. The bottom line is for you to love yourself. Love yourself and find it in yourself to get out of an abusive relationship.